No, not with money. Although that would help, money seems kind of a cheap way of making people feel like they're participating. I see donating money as aid in its completion, not participation in the actual brick and mortar that goes into a game.
I was thinking "How would some of these shallow, personality-less characters respond to the player?" Well, with insults if they lowlives. But then I started trying to come up with a list of good insults, and realized that it might be too limiting if I did it, so what if I asked others for help? And what if I asked not just for your best insults, but rather, really good insults from your country?
I haven't a clue what my metrics are. I don't feel I'm worth a narcissistic look at the analytics of my blog with only an average of 36 unique visitors a week. So just guessing, I'm bound to have people from the UK, Australia, and Americans with backgrounds from other countries.
I'm not expecting a whole lot, because I'm hardly worth paying attention to, at the moment, but I'm opening the floor to this "contest" anyway. What will happen, if anyone ends up being interested, is I'll compile the responses and use them in the game, and add the names of any participants to the credits.
Yeah, I know, terrible prize: A credit in a game by a game dev nobody. But I don't plan on being a nobody for long. I hope to become, at the very least, sort of above a nobody. (Let's face it, I'll never be Scott Cawthon, Toby Fox, or Markus Persson.)
Anyway, as with all contest type things (especially ones on the internet, à la Boaty McBoatface) there are guidelines that must be followed.
1. This is a fairly gritty game, and as a result, most of the people in this game are going to be criminals, cut-throat thugs, lowlife types, mercenaries, etc, so the insults have to be above recess/playground level insults. "You're a doodoo head." Isn't going to work out of the mouth of a member of the Crips, for example.
2. Keep it classy. The insults need to have more finesse than the average 10-12 year old COD player. "I fucked your mom in the ass because you're a kike, and she liked it, you faggot! 1v1 me!!" No one with a fully developed frontal lobe is going to talk like this. The insults don't have to be more high-brow than "What are you looking at, asshole?" but if you take part, at least imagine that your insult is coming from someone with more dignity than the average prepubescent FPS player.
3. No Niggers, Niggas, Honkies, or Crackers. First of all, those words are a little too easy, because they're automatically offensive. Normally, I wouldn't care, but since everyone in this game universe is an anthropomorphic animal, I don't think it makes much sense. Even if it's a mammal or reptile with black hair, white hair or scales, or whatever they have, it wouldn't make much sense. Actually, I think it would be pretty damn funny if a ghetto, grey fox called a calico cat "my nigga" but I'm focusing on insults for now. Skin color isn't going to matter to anything but hairless cats and naked mole rats, so avoid anything to do with skin color. The main character is a doberman. Get creative. The obvious one would be to call him a bitch...
4. English must be used as a base. This is going to be taking place in America, so everyone would at least know how to speak English. If you're representing your country, give me something most English speakers will be able to read, but spice it up with your country's own garnish. IE: "Go back the way you came, cholo." Or "Piss off, ya plonker."
5. Please make sure that the insult you provide can be written out in English alphabetical characters. I don't have the time or patience to make a font that matches the game's current font and uses Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Russian, etc characters. And even if I could, players who don't know that language would be completely unaware that they were even being insulted. Accented letters are fine, though, as I can still use those.
6. Each insult that's not baldly universal needs to come with a brief description of what it means so I know how to use it properly. What I mean by that is "Fuck off, asshole!" is pretty straight forward. For people who know how to speak English, that's a fairly universal insult. But "Leave off, ya bloody pillock!" is.... actually a really bad example because I absorb a lot of British Youtube. But you get what I mean. If it's not universal, please include a break down of the insult for me, so I'm not misusing it. IE: Gringo. This is a disparaging, Latino/Hispanic term for foreigners, usually for an American or Western European. It wouldn't be appropriate for one Latino/Hispanic person to call another Latino/Hispanic person a gringo.
7. No limit to submissions per person. If you'd like to see a range of colorful insults from your country or family's background, submit as many as you like.
8. Each submission must contain at least one name to credit for the entry. Pseudonyms are fine, but please refrain from anything like "HillaryTrump2016", "Dickbutt", or "RarePepe420".
9. Be warned that absolutely everyone will be able to be killed in this game. If you submit something that makes the NPC seem like an insufferable, arrogant prick, the player may very well choose to kill that NPC, hostile or not. So if you're thinking about making a total ass of a character, hoping there will be no repercussions for the NPC's attitude and they can just annoy the player the entire game, you're going to be disappointed.
And there you have it. Other than those things, anything goes. This was supposed to be a "the best ones of out the submissions get in" contest, but I think I'll end up getting so few, if any at all, that I'll be able to use them all anyway. So instead, as long as they're not complete garbage I'll use them, and the entries with the most creative insults will have their names appear at the top of the list.
If you'd like to participate, you can use my email, which is in the side bar, using "Thug Life" in the subject bar, or my blog's contact form, or the comment section to this post, which I believe allows for visitors to post comments without needing an account. I could be wrong, though. Or alternatively, you can send me a message on Gab, if you can fit your submission into the character limit.
I'm @BastendorfGames on Gab and on Twitter.